Coding Pet Milky
With Screen Free Mode and App Mode, Usable with Free Coding App - STEM Educational Toy for Problem Solving and Programming Practice - Age 8 + Years
토이트론 퓨처코딩 코딩펫 밀키
Feature-rich product but instruction booklet quite sparse and confusing. Lacking in examples and challenges. If you are very persistent and know some very basic computer coding or Korean, you can overcome this.
This You Tube video found off kmall24 website was ESSSENTIAL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRosI5PGACI . Prior to watching I was so confused by what "sad", "angry", "happy", etc. actually looked like, how to actually play the music, etc. But video all in Korean (I had to use cell phone camera to google-translate from my computer). Can Kulture Shack provide a translated version? Before watching the video, I - as an adult who knows coding! - was REALLY confused by what Milky was doing. My guess is that some of the low ratings/reviews are due to this, because the product itself is one of the best-in-class. Also, its music app isn't bad, has quarter note, half, eighth, even dotted, but no triplet notes. Needs to add triplet & sixth notes.
It did take a few hours for me to figure out, but now that I know how to work it, I started to teach my 7 and 9 year old kids, they love it. Until instructions/English video/examples are improved, it is probably not for faint of heart or non-coding parents.
Also, once in a while, Milky flashes all the colors and then makes a few scratch-like noises. I tell the kids that milky is pooping at that time. That's my guess because it happens after feeding them lots of "food", and s/he can't eat or do anything during those moments and then turns normal afterwards. Why not written or discussed anywhere?
Note you need to press on Milky once before feeding cards. Says that in some parts of the instructions, but not others. I had to re-read the "Feature" card instructions to get it to work - a video would be better.
Needs to add calibration, music app, pooping?, more troubleshooting in instructions [calibration instructions only found on amazon's Q&A section - shouldn't that be with the product?].
- FEATURE-RICH: can use marker, cards, or simple apps to program; music, dancing, movement. IF-THEN and repeat conditional statements.
- APPEALING: rounded animal design appeals to all genders
- SIMPLICITY: not a lot of little pieces to get lost - just Milky, cards, markers, and sheets.
- needs ENGLISH video INSTRUCTIONS (not just an English ad) and more examples (e.g. showing how to change emotions, how to program Feature functions)
- written instructions too sparse
- needs to add triple and sixth notes in music app
- should include more challenges - perhaps can have online resources? Maybe company could even profit from some formal instruction classes for parents who don't have time or coding knowledge to teach their kids.